Monday, February 8, 2016

Ingots I got

The whole reason for my Michigan Upper Peninsula copper smelter was to take the ore mined thousands of feet below the surface and smelt it into ingots for shipment to the industries down the lakes. Needing ingots to show being transported from the furnaces to the warehouse, stacked in the warehouse, on the dock and in the hold of the freighter, I started-out by carving a single ingot in styrene. I then made a mold and cast four duplicates in this mold and glued them together. I then made a second mold of this group of four and started casting them. Since I will need around a hundred of these sets, tonight I made a mold which produces four of sets at a time. Production will be ongoing for the next couple of evenings!

The photo below shows the standard manner in which the ingots will be stacked in the warehouse and on the docks. When finished, the dock will be covered with these stacks awaiting shipment.

 

In the photo below, we are looking into one of the open holds on the vessel which is tied up at the dock. You can see this hold is stacked high with ingots. Thankfully, since I am only modeling the vessel from the waterline up, I only needed two layers to make the hold appear as though it was stacked up to just below the deck.



No comments:

Post a Comment