Tuesday, February 9, 2016

More ingots

I cast and painted another 30 copper ingot layers tonight and glued them up into 3-tier stacks. I have now completed somewhere between a half and one third of the ingot stacks required to effectively fill the dock and provide the impression that the output of the smelter is sufficient to warrant its existence.

  


Below are the three molds that I created and used in casting the ingot stacks. The first step was to make the single ingot mold at the left. I used this mold to cast four ingots which I then glued together to create the mold in the middle. Finally, I made four castings of this second mold to create the third mold. I considered making a mold of one of the three layer stacks, but felt that there would be too much under-cutting on the sides which would damage the mold when the castings were removed, so decided not to go that extra step.



No comments:

Post a Comment