Thursday, December 7, 2017

Fishing village details as a diversion

As I have mentioned previously, I almost always have a few modeling projects underway at any one time. This allows my to switch back and forth between them in order to prevent burnout from spending a lot of concentrated time on a single task. To this end, after a couple of workings sessions on the  "Fishtown" replica, I switched to a few quick detail projects to place around the finished structure.

Here we see three details which will be installed at one end of the main "Fishtown"Structure. From left to right, we see a pile of fish boxes, which were used to carry the fish from the docked fish tug to the smoker. These were built of coffee stirrer lumber cut down to size, assembled and painted. Next, we see the smoker, into which the fish were placed and hung on racks while they were smoked over a hardwood fire. Finally, on the right, we see a pile of hardwood lumber cut ready to feed the fire.

Here we see my interpretation of the fish net drying racks which will be placed in the area of the smoker at the end of the main building. The nets themselves were made of "nut bags" which I found on Amazon, and I believe are usually used for straining the nuts from the milk after nuts have been compressed to obtain "nut milk." Of course, their normal use was irrelevant to me, as I only purchased them because they appeared to have the smallest mesh I could find to represent the net material. The floats are made of plastic insulation cut from the finest wire I could find in my stash, and the line onto which they are threaded consist of but a single strand of the copper from within the same wires.


Here is a small storage building that will also be located in the area near the fish nets and smoker.
Now, after this break  .... back to structure building. 





No comments:

Post a Comment