Sunday, December 3, 2017

The first fishing structure

For the first fishing village structure, I decided to create my interpretation of the gabled building which can still be found at Fishtown.

I have always appreciated this structure because of its multiple gables and the fact that it is completely shingled. While fully shingled buildings are relatively common on the eastern seaboard, they are relatively uncommon here in the Great Lakes, and since I have never modeled such a structure, I thought it would represent somewhat of a challenge.


Here, front and side walls for the structure have been cut fro, Crescent board. This material is my go-to material in such situations. It cuts easily with a No. 11 Exacto blade, is stiff and strong, not prone to warping and is glued easily using Matte Medium, which is my favorite paper, card and wood adhesive for modeling.



One challenge in interpreting the prototype is that none of the doors or windows have frame boards around them, as is normally the case. Instead, the shingles are merely butted up against the inner frame of the windows and doors. To replicate this, I was forced to cut off the frame boards on all the windows and doors and then add a thin piece of styrene around the outer edges to replicate the prototype, as shown above.





No comments:

Post a Comment