Monday, November 23, 2015

Cobbling-up

Well, my Chooch cobblestone sheet arrived in today's mail. In a fit of stupidity, I significantly underestimated how much I would need. Its pretty pricey and with the holiday upcoming I won't be able to get any in my hands until next week. Then I remembered the Smooth-On resin casting kit I purchased last spring for a non railroad project. It's a little past its shelf life, but what the heck - Its already paid for! .... I cut out a 31/2" square section of the sheet and poured a mold over it tonight. Should be well cured by the time I head get up in the morning and it is doubtful I will be able to resist pulling it apart before heading out to work! If all goes well, I should be able to cast sufficient sections over the next couple of days to keep me busy this coming holiday weekend.

The purple tinged stuff in the middle is the molding compound. The gray base is a piece of styrene plastic and the pine is lightly glued with epoxy to the base and each other to form the walls of the mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment