Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Materials can be found anywhere

There will be a large 36 foot wide dock running approximately 300 feet along the riverside in my copper smelter module. Planning to sheath the decking with 4" by 12's, about a week ago I priced the cost of scale lumber required at around $50.00. While I was in Duluth last weekend, I ordered a cup of coffee, and was given a wood stir stick. A light went off in my head! When I arrived home Monday, I checked Amazon and found a pack of 1,000 for $5.20, and ordered two packs. They arrived this afternoon and appear to be birch, are straight, consistently cut and scale out to approximately 4" by 13" by 36' 3" in length - perfect for my purposes! This huge supply will also work out great for numerous other projects as the build moves ahead.


A track and switch shipment transferred to USPS for delivery. Being on the road home from Duluth Monday, I was unavailable to sign for it, and the Post Office was closed today for Armistice Day. So I decided to give a first try at some furnace filter trees this evening. The trees are built using a cheap green furnace filter material from Walmart glued onto a wooden kebab stick, and covered with ground foam which is adhered with cheap hairspray. It was a good learning experience, and they should get better as my hand returns after a 30 year hiatus from any type of scenery making.




No comments:

Post a Comment