Sunday, January 17, 2016

Building the Reverberatory Furnace Building - Part 3

Over the weekend, I added lintels and sills to all four walls of the Reverb Furnace Building and painted all the stones in the same Jacobsville sandstone colors I used on the Cupola Furnace Building.


 I find the hand paining of hundreds of individual stones to be mind numbingly boring, so every once in a while I would take a break and work on another aspect of the structure. One of these side trips consisted of beginning work on the four large chimneys which graced this structure. I have decided to use pink styrofoam insulation as a base, and cover them with printed brick paper. In order to cut the necessary tapers, I again used my scaled version of the HABS drawing, and created some full-size templates as shown below.

I cut out one of the above templates and glued it to a piece of thick card stock. I then cut this template from the card stock using an Xacto knife, and used it to set up the correct angle on the taper jig on my table saw. After making a few test cuts to verify accuracy of the setup, I cut five chimney blanks, passing them through the saw twice, once on each of two adjacent sides, in order to create the correct form for the chimneys as shown below.

 
I then sanded the foam chimney forms and gave them a coat of brushed latex primer so that they will accept adhesive for the brick paper. The five primed chimney blanks can be seen below. (I cut five so that I have one to experiment on, in case I make a mistake.


Finally, I worked on the coal elevator which was installed on one corner of the Reverb Furnace building. The construction method for this little addition was straightforward, using 1/8 balsa sheet as the base and covering it with the same printed rusty corrugated sheeting I have been using throughout the module.


Tomorrow night after work, it is my plan to glaze and install all the windows and start joining and bracing the structure walls.





No comments:

Post a Comment