Sunday, January 24, 2016

Building the Reverberatory Furnace Building - Part 5

Making headway on the Reverberatory Furnace Building. Since they will be so spindly and fragile, I'm going to wait until the building is installed on the module before I add the dampers on top of the stacks. 

After I cut the stacks from pink foam insulation, I covered them with aged red brick from Scalescenes printed on matte photo paper, and then cut the angles at the base of the stacks using the jig below that I fabricated from scrap Crescent Board.


The stone caps on the stacks were cut from 0.05" Crescent Board. I first cut the square opening using a 0/5" square mortising chisel with the drill removed. I simply hammered the chisel through the board using a piece of scrap pine as a backer so as not to damage the chisel edge.


The clerestory was built of sheet balsa and coffee stir sticks. Since photos of the prototype showed the vents open at different angles, I cut the vent doors from .03 styrene and attacked them at different angles to a piece of styrene strip which I then ACC'd above the openings as seen below.


While I still have to build the scale house addition and install signs and lights, I'm getting burned-out on large stone and corrugated iron buildings, so I am going to take a break and build some company houses!

No comments:

Post a Comment