Thursday, December 24, 2015

Back to normal

My new work area is taking on an appearance of "normalcy" with three structures under construction on the bench.this morning.


Today, I was working on the boiler house for my copper smelter. This is my first attempt at modeling a a cast concrete structure, and I am trying a printed texture that I downloaded from Scalescenes sna printed on my inkjet printer.


The stack came from Walthers and is injection molded with a brick pattern on the outside. I sanded off most of the brick finish, and wrapped the stack with the same concrete paper as the structure. While I think the stack came out looking pretty good, I do not like the top. It appears somewhow unfinished. I will give it some thought and see if I can come up with a more visually appealing way to cap it.

Ater posting a message on the HOn30, OO9, and HOe Modelers page on Facebook and receiving some excellent suggestions, I decided to wrap the top of the stack with two multiple bands of the concrete paper - the first wrap being a scale 15" in width and the second 9" in order to obtain the "step." I think it is a vast improvement over the plain top. I will give the top a fog of flat black with the airbrush to simulate sooting when I weather the complete structure.


 I also picked up on the mineral building, gluing the for walls together. If I can muster any time at the workbench tomorrow, I plan on beginning construction of the for this building.


Here's the almost finished structure, short of final detailing and weathering.



No comments:

Post a Comment