Friday, December 18, 2015

Unconventinal lighting

All the buildings around the copper smelter are going to need exterior lights. This means I am need to come up with around 50 lighting fixtures! A couple of weeks ago I did some digging online to see what was available, and was stunned to see that I was going to have to shell out around $1.00 a piece for them. 

I put on my thinking cap and while I was at WalMart last weekend. I purchased a package of 250 ball head .05mm pins and a bag of 800 cupped 5mm sequins, with the thought that they might be cobbled together to serve the purpose. Tonight, I made the prototype run shown below:



The pins were bent using needle-nosed pliers and the “electrical boxes” were cut from sheet styrene with a single 1/8” hole punch and drilled with the pin vise. I just need to go easier on the epoxy holding the sequin shades in place when I make a “production run.” for which I will fabricate a fixture to obtain uniformity throughout a run. With a total investment of $6.00, I have enough supplies on hand to build 250 light fixtures. While the "rivet counters" might complain that they are over sized, at less than two cents apiece plus a little labor, they are close enough for this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment