Thursday, December 3, 2015

Losing my block

I think that I may be going off the deep end!

The briquetting plant in the prototype that serves as the inspiration for my copper smelter module was built of concrete blocks as seen in (A.) While Clever Models has a nice concrete block texture I used in my mock-up for the building (B), I feel the paper ends up looking too flat and "one dimensional." Not one to wait until an online order for some plastic solution can make its way by pony express to northern Michigan, I have decided to scratch build the walls from card stock.

I drew up a template in Photoshop which I printed to serve as a guide for cutting the blocks (C) and a backer sheet (d) onto which to glue each of the blocks after they are cut. I put together a small prototype area this evening, gave it a shot of Rustoleum sand camo and a quick wash of alcohol and ink (E), and I think it will work pretty well. This prototype took about five minutes to cut and glue, and since the building is fairly small I think I should be able to get the walls done in a day over the weekend. A major benefit of this method is that it will also allow me to incorporate the proper window lintel and sills.

If you don't hear from me after this weekend, it will probably be because I am in my closet, drooling in my shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment